Friday, January 20, 2017

DIY Carpeting- The Boys Room

MJ's carpet was gross. It was beyond needing just a shampoo to refresh it. It needed a total overhaul in order to clean up his room.


The carpet was stained from when I painted the room and accidentally dropped the entire paint roller on the floor... whoops. The worst of it though was a spot in the closet that, no matter what we did, the cats decided was their own private bathroom. It soaked through the carpet into the carpet pad and the baseboards. His room just smelled and no shampooing, cleaning, spraying could get it out. New carpet was the only way to go. 

We eventually want to recarpet the whole house and being that MJ's room is the smallest it was the "test room" to see if we could actually do this.


So, up came the carpet and the carpet pad, revealing concrete underneath and the tack-strips that needed to be replaced. We also had to replace about half the baseboards.



We went to Lowes and bought our carpet and padding. We had already made a trip earlier to get the tack-strips, baseboards, knee kicker and carpet tucker. We had to get a carpet strip that was 12 X 14. The only way to get it home was to strap it to the top of the van. Don't you love the rainbow shining over our freshly purchased carpet?


Here is Michael, nailing in the baseboards. He had to do all the hammering by hand since we don't own a nail gun and for some reason I just couldn't seem to hit the nail and the angle needed to hammer it in. So that job was all Michael's and he did great!

Next we had to hammer the tack-strips into concrete... It was the worst part of the whole night. Nails were bending and not connecting. Something that seemed like it should've taken maybe 45 minutes of work took hours of hammering, over and over again. There was a lot of frustration with this one single job. Hammering tack-strips into concrete is an evil practice. By the end of it my hands were banged up and bruised and ached. Michael's too. It was rough. It was almost enough to throw in the towel but we kept progressing so very slowly.


After we finally... finally... finished the tack-strips we layed out the carpet pad. We trimmed it to the edges of the  tack-strips and all the was next was to lay the carpet. I didn't get any pictures of us actually laying, trimming, stretching or cutting the carpet. By this time it was 1am and we just wanted to get it done.


But in the end, there was beautiful fresh smelling new carpet that looked great!




It made a huge difference in his room and he loves it. I love it!


We got all his furniture moved back in. He has a clean place to play and a room that is great to be in. Even his sisters spent a good chunk of the day hanging out with him in his freshly made up room.





Soon we will be venturing into working on the girls room and eventually the rest of the house. It was a lot of hard work but completely satisfying once the work was done and I could see the difference (and smell the difference). It has the feel of a whole different room. I can't wait to finish up the rest of the house!