Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Bible Journaling: Deuteronomy 30:19

The choices we make in life do not just effect us. That seems to be something we don't always realize. Our choices stretch out beyond us and into our friends and family. It can even carry on as it expands out from person to person. So, how do we make good choices that can effect ourselves and others in positive ways? 


Looking at Deuteronomy 30, Moses has been talking for multiple chapters to the people of Israel. He is preparing for his death and knows that soon the people will be heading into the Promised Land. Living with these people for the 40 years he has seen how finicky people are. He is letting them know how important it is to be obedient to God. He wants them to see that their choices today can have an effect on generations to come. And throughout history there was a lot of emphasis on the next generation, on descendants and keeping bloodlines alive. 

Here in Deuteronomy 30:19, Moses is  keeping very simple. You can choose life or death for you and your family. It says. "This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children will live." (emphasis mine)

Choosing life means choosing God. And when we make healthy choices we teach healthy choices to our children. It carries down. So if I choose God and am continually obedient to him, I'm showing that to my kids, my future generation, how to. And hopefully, they will see and make healthy choices for themselves. My hope is that they will choose God for themselves. And this love of God will carry down through my family, generation after generation.

So, I will choose life. I choose God. I choose life over death for me and my children. 

Deuteronomy 30:20 says "and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."

God promises life when we choose Him.