Monday, April 4, 2016

Wildflower Moments

There are sometimes in life that we need wildflower moments.

And I'm not talking about being free and growing where ever, like wildflowers do. But instead about something that happened about a year ago.


If you know me or have been following along over the last few months you know that life just completely went crazy for us and have since been working to rebuild.

Our wedding anniversary is in April. And last year we were to celebrate 10 years. This was very hard for me considering the circumstances of where my marriage was standing. We were coming back together after an affair and I didn't know if I could celebrate something that was so broken. Because I was so broken. Trust wasn't even a consideration at this point. It was too soon.

But it was too big a day to let pass by without doing something. Because even though things had been very hard, we were still together, we were still married for 10 years and together for nearly 15. There was still something there.

So Michael took me on a small weekend road trip. It was the first time that we traveled together, just the two of us, in a few years. I honestly wasn't sure how to feel about it. But I love him and wanted to have something to celebrate. And we really needed the time alone. So we could just be Michael and Jessica, without also being Mom and Dad.

On the second day of the trip we were driving through some desert mountains. Along the road side were beautiful wild flowers. These were something different than ones I've seen in the past. They weren't just yellow daises or dandelions. I don't know what kind or what they are called, but they were bright and beautiful. Reds, oranges and yellows.


And I loved them. As we drove I just watched the scenery and admired the flowers.

And suddenly Michael stopped the car, hopped out, collected a handful of flowers and brought them back and gave them to me.


And I cried. Because there was nothing in it for Michael. Because it was something that he just did for me. There was no motive behind it.

It was just a husband picking flowers for his wife.

It was simple.


And it was just what I needed.

This was something that Michael had never done before. He has given me flowers, sent me flowers but they were always bought at a store. They were planned.

But this wildflower moment was not planned. It was just a split second decision that Michael made to give me something beautiful just because he wanted to make me smile. To bring me some joy. And nothing else.

And I really believe that we all need moments like these. Where someone does something simple for us just because it would make us smile. And that was enough.

It was just what I needed. I needed to know that I was loved and this simple gesture showed me.

And now, this week we are getting ready to celebrate 11 years of marriage. A year has since gone by and I still think about my wild flowers and how much I loved them. And how much I love the man who gave them to me.

Have you had any wildflower moments? I would love to hear about them!