Wednesday, April 20, 2016

What's for Dinner?: Chimichangas

A couple of months ago I made awesome giant chimichangas. I've been meaning to share them for so long. And it just slipped my mind.


These chimichangas were awesome. Let me share with you how I made it.

I started with a 2-3 pound pork roast and placed it in the slow cooker. I added a bag of frozen 3 peppers and onion veggie bag. And on top I added the spiced I like, cumin, chili powder, basil and minced garlic. Set to cook for 6 to 8 hours. This makes a ton of meat.


When the pork is fully cooked and tender, remove it and the veggies from the broth and through it in the stand mixer. Put in the paddle attachment and let the mixer do the shredding. Makes it so much easier than the two fork method. Two minutes in the mixer saves 20 minutes.


Throw the meat into a bowl and add some of the cooking broth until moist. Take a bite and add salt and pepper or more spices to taste.


Now, its time to roll up the meat in some giant tortillas. I used 12 inch tortillas. Add cheese, if desired.


Heat up oil in a skillet. I used a cast iron to keep an even fry.


Once oil is hot, add in chimichangas, and fry until golden and then flip.


This recipe makes a ton. But they freeze well. Just wrap each individually in foil and reheat in the oven when the craving for one hits.


You can eat these as is or topped with sour cream and guacamole. They can really be made to any preference you like.

If you try it out, let me know how you like it!