Monday, February 3, 2014

Five Minutes

Yesterday I got on the treadmill for the 22nd day in a row.  It's a HUGE deal for me because in past the most I've gotten on the treadmill is maybe 22 times in the last 10 years.  I'm not a big fan of running.  But now my opinion my be changing.

Everyday that I get on I am surprised on how far I've come.  Twenty-two days ago I struggled to get up to a half a mile.  I could only run for 30-45 seconds at a time.  My lungs would ache and my body was uncomfortable.  For this past week I've been able to get up to a mile (baby nap permitting) without completely dying.

Three weeks ago I struggled to do a half a mile in 11 minutes and 37 seconds.  It was hard.  I hated every minute of it.  I didn't even feel like I accomplished anything when I got off.

Yesterday I ran 1/2 a mile in 8 minutes 27 seconds.  In 3 weeks that is 3 minutes that I cut off my time.  And to add to it I ran 5 of those 8 minutes.  In a row.  Without stopping.

WOW!

Three weeks ago 5 minutes was unheard of.  I went from running 30 seconds to running 5 minutes.

I'm seeing progress in my endurance.  It's going to be long running journey but I'm getting better every single time I step on the treadmill.  I have a personal goal of running every single day for 100 days.  I have 22 down as of right now.  88 to go.  When I decided that it felt like it would be forever for 100 days to go by but these last 22 have flown by.

If I stay consistent I'll be able to run a full 1/2 mile in no time.  Quickly followd by running a full mile without stopping.

I can do this.