Friday, April 19, 2013

Butterfly

About two weeks ago we discovered these crazy black fuzzy looking caterpillar crawling around in our front yard.  Later that day Michael walked out on to our front porch and found this on the ceiling.


This was one of 15 or 20 that are hanging from our house.  It's pretty crazy to me.  I've lived in this same area my entire life and have never seen so many in one spot and such funky looking ones.  I've only seen green caterpillars before this.
Well, we later discovered that one had cocooned (or chrysalis-but we don't believe in chrysalises only cocoons ) inside our house on one of my flower pots.  We left it alone, in the house and figured it would eventually come out and we would let it fly around until it made its way outside.  It was like having our own personal nature channel in the kitchen.
It took two weeks and yesterday I walked into my kitchen and noticed that there was a butterfly hanging from the cocoon.  It was cool to see it sitting there.  And I waited and waited.  The kids and I watched it for a while to see if it would do anything.  I thought it would fly, but it just sat there.  I looked it up and butterfly typically take 3-4 hours to get going since they have to pump blood into their wings.  
Speaking of blood...  Under the cocoon and butterfly there was a bog spot of blood on my table.  Gross...  I was pretty grossed out by it.  I don't super dig blood- even it's just a drop from a butterfly.

 So we waited and went on with our day and 3-4 hours passed and nothing.  It was still just sitting there.  I wasn't sure if the thing was dead or alive or what.  It was not moving at all.
Here's Molly.  She didn't know what was going on, just wanted to be in the middle of whatever it was.
 About 2 hours later I suddenly hear this strange noise.  It was the wings flapping.  It was moving!  It was alive!  And then it crashed into the window.

I don't know if you know this, but they aren't really good flyers at first.  They kind need some practice to get going.

After crashing it stayed on the window for a bit to rest and then it tried again.  And promptly hit the window again and fell on the floor.  It took another big rest and made it to the the window again where it rested.


 Sidda and MJ watched it for a while and soon got bored because it was not flying just flapping its wings. Well, we were just letting it be and all left the kitchen do get some things done around the house.  I walked back into the kitchen to find that Tucker our cat had discovered the butterfly and devoured its head....

Poor butterfly never got to fly, never got to make little butterfly babies or explore anything but my kitchen window.  I have a bad cat who eats bugs. (Can't be too mad, I like it when he eats bugs and it's fun to watch him chase bugs.)  We broke the news to the kids and they were kind of grossed out but quickly got over it because we have another 19 right outside the front door to watch.


And here is what Anya was doing during the butterfly adventure.