Thursday, March 21, 2013

Book Review: The Mark of Athena

I actually finished reading The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan back in January.  I've just been so busy preparing for the baby that I just never sat down and wrote my review of it.

Can I tell you that I absolutely loved it!?  I get a huge kick out of this series that Riordan has put together.  I started reading the Percy Jackson series years ago and have followed it along ever since.

The Mark of Athena is his best work yet.  The 7 of the prophecy have finally all joined forces in an attempt to save the world.  There was so much more than the past books had to offer.  There is a lot of wit and humor and action that I have come to expect, but this book was just more.  I think what helped seal a lot of it for me was getting to be in on Annabeth's point of view.  This is an angle we've never gotten to see before, since Percy Jackson and the Olympians was all from Percy's first person perspective and in The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune Annabeth was hardly present in.

Annabeth is the daughter of Athena. She is smart and logical and really thinks things out.  She is crazy about Percy, her boyfriend, who she has just been reunited with.  But the trouble is that even though she finally has what she has been looking for for month, Percy, she now has a new task that has been given to her by Athena.  She can't tell anyone about it.  It can cause a lot of problems what she has to do and she is scared of losing what she just got back.  We get to see a lot of how Annabeth thinks and the fears she faces.

The other highlight for me was Leo.  I think out of everyone Leo is my favorite.  The son of Hephaestus he is creative and useful.  He is also just down right funny.  Leo keeps the story rolling with his one liners and comments.  But he is also just and awesome character.

One of the best thing about this series is how much my kids love it.  After I finish reading the book I get the audio version and we all listen to it together as a family.  Sidda and MJ and even Michael really enjoy hearing the story.  And I'm sure as soon as Anya is big enough she will enjoy this family time that we have together as well.

I can't wait to see what happens in The House of Hades.