Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Book Review: Where We Belong

I actually finished reading Where We Belong by Emily Giffin about 3 weeks ago.  I've really just been too lazy to write my review.

I honestly can't remember a ton about the book at this point.  It is not one of my favorites.  It may be that I felt no connection to her characters.  As I read through it seemed that she never went too deep, yes we learned their secrets, but the secrets were lacking.  The people were lacking.  It makes me so sad to say it, because this is the first Emily Giffin book that I just didn't enjoy.

Now that I've talked so badly about it I guess I should give a run down.  Marian is a hot shot TV producer.  Her life is going right, awesome job, awesome boyfriend, lots of money.  But Marian has a secret.  When she was 18 she got pregnant and gave up the baby for adoption.  This story is about how the baby, Kirby, when she turns 18, finds Marian and the develop a relationship and the difficulties that come with finding out where you come from.

I guess I couldn't connect because I could never give up my children.  And being pregnant right now probably didn't help my opinion at all.  I found Marian to be selfish and weak and I felt that Kirby was lacking too.  I just can't find the words because I was so disappointed.  I really wanted to like it, I really did. I tried so hard to but I just couldn't.

I am looking forward to Emily Giffin's next book, because I really think she is a wonderful story teller.  And I hope to have nothing but good thoughts about that one.