Saturday, June 23, 2012

Book Review: The Serpent's Shadow




The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan is the final installment of the Kane Chronicles.  We follow Carter and Sadie Kane, brother and sister as they battle Apophis the serpent who is trying to swallow the sun and their drama that comes with their teen love lives.

I was glad to finally be finished with this series.  I didn't care for it as much as I did the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.  It may be that I don't really know a whole lot about the Egyptian Gods and their personalities and the stories behind them.  It made it hard at times to know who was who and what they did and where there place was in the world of the Egypt.  I think if I was more interested in the background the story would have been more enjoyable.

The beginning of the book started off slow, as they seem to do in this series, but as it came to a close it picked up and became more interesting.  I love Riordan's style of writing.  We listen to his books on audio with Sidda and MJ who love it also.  He is very creative and has away to make old myths come alive.  I would probably give this series another go around eventually since I've started to learn the basics about the Egyptian gods.