Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Opinions

With the latest trend of Christian bashing coming against Kirk Cameron for his beliefs I have finally grown tired of the tolerance that is not tolerance unless you agree with the majority.

Kirk Cameron went on to interview with Peirs Morgan and was asked pointedly about his views about homosexuality.  Kirk response was:

"I think that it's ... unnatural. I think that it's detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."
 
This is no way can be considered hate speech.  This is just a statement, answering a question honestly, which is all you can really hope for.  He did not call anyone out.  He did not state that they were evil people.  It’s just a truth.  In my mind and I’m sure as well as Kirk’s homosexuality is a sin.  I may offend some with my opinion of this, but it is what it is.  I’m a sinner as well.  Just not in that area.

Regardless of sin we are to love everyone.  I have never thought badly of a person because of their sexual orientation although I do not agree whatsoever with their decision.  I also do not agree with drinking, smoking, drug use, tattoos and many others things.  I just don’t see someone who has tattoos getting angry and calling me intolerant just because I do not agree with the choice they made to put ink in their skin.  They really wouldn’t care about my opinion.  It doesn’t effect their life.  To some who make a huge deal out of someone else’s opinion are the people who are only identified by that orientation.  I would never expect myself to be identified as a heterosexual.  That is what I am, but not who I am.  We are defined by so much more.  I am a mother, a daughter, a homemaker, a wanna be writer, a book enthusiast and so many more, but above all I am a lover of God.

And because I love God and he loves me, I understand the need to love everyone.  I don’t always like people but I do try to make an effort to love.  I am kind to everyone and I expect the same in return.  Whether your opinion differs to mine or not in any subject.  Would I like you to agree with me?  Sure.  I’m sure it is the same with you.  Life is always easier when people can agree.  It’s not going to happen though.  But I don’t think that I should be bashed and hated because I have a different opinion than yours.  I would never do that to you.

I don’t think people should be bullied for any reason.  And there are more reasons than sexual orientation that people are bullied for, they are just not as highly publicized.  There are girls who are bullied for being fat, boys for being weak, kids for having special needs and yes, being gay.  I don’t think violence or verbal abuse is ok in anyway for any reason.  In the end, we are all people, trying to live.

Would I like you to agree with me?  Yes.  Do I expect it?  No.  But regardless, I will pray for you.  Whether you agree or not; I will pray.  Whether you believe the same as me or not; I will pray.  It is not because of your sins that I pray but because I think that everyone should have the chance to live in freedom.  To live in freedom away from struggles and pain and hate.  To be free of the things that hold you down.  And I believe that this freedom is only offered through Jesus Christ.  So, I will pray for you and I will continue to do so, regardless of your sin, because that is what I can do to love you the most.