Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Never Ending Quest

I'm trying to live a healthy life.  I want to live for a VERY long time.  I want to be around when my kids are grown.  I want to one day see grandbabies and maybe even great grandbabies.  I want to be that lady who is 60 and looks younger.  I want to be young at heart always, and I want that to reflect in my body and my health.  The only way to achieve these things is to lose weight and get healthy.  I've already been off to a good start.  Some days are harder than  others but I am down 8 pounds so far!  This is way exciting for me.  I know that I have a long way to go but I am more motivated now than I have been in the past.

It's amazing how God has really been working on this area in my life.  I am addicted to food and I use it to fill up every part of my being.  I never realized before that you could be addicted to food.  Addictions belong to other things that other people do, smoking.... drugs... sex...  but food?  Wow.  It's a hard concept for me.  I mean food is food and I literally need it to live.  Sure I don't need as much as I want but I need to consume it in order to live in general.  This is what makes it hard.  If I was just addicted to something else and wanted to stop, I could just not have it anymore.  Avoid it at all costs.  Get the proper help, but mainly stay away.  This doesn't work when it comes to food.  There is no walking away from eating.  If you stop eating, well, that causes a whole new set of problems.  So what do I do?

Well, I needed the right focus.  I was blessed to discover a wonderful website that has given me the tools to help me in walking away from my food addiction.  Through the course The Lord's Table through settingcaptivesfree.com  I have been able to overcome much.  What's crazy is that the course focus is not dieting, though it is talked about, it's about making sure that God comes first.  It shows you how to make God truly the number one in your life, because when you focus on God everything else will fall into place.  I have just hit my halfway point and I don't look at food the same as I did before.  I actually can't eat the way I was before.  The changes in my habits are amazing.  Would I like to eat more?  Sure, but I don't need to anymore.  The hole that I was trying to fill with food is full of Jesus.  Though I have always loved God and worship him I still had food as my "side idol".  I didn't think it was, but it was.

And now that I got my eating under control I've began to really try to exercise again. And thanks to my awesome mom who went halvsies on a treadmill for my family I can walk and run anytime that I want to even when the kids are home and Michael is not.  I've been getting on the treadmill each day since we got it 5 days ago, but have been really losing motivation.  I haven't found the right stride.  I wanted to run but being as out of shape as I am, it's been hard.  And then you add to it that I have never liked running.  Hated it would probably be a clearer definition.  I've always been jealous of those who could run forever and really enjoyed it.  Running has always been hard for me, even when I was in great shape, running would wear in down.  But today I was looking for something to help me.  I've seen all this information on how to train to run marathons, but I can barely run for more than a minute without getting winded.  I needed something for complete beginners.  And I happened across this training section of Womans Health.  Today I have already done day one and it didn't kill me.  It has walking and running intervals, and even though I kept it to a jog on the running parts I was able to complete the whole workout without killing myself.  And I actually enjoyed it.  I stepped off the treadmill filling so good I think I might do it again tonight!  What!  I want to get on the treadmill for a second time in one day!  That's craziness!

This post has turned out much longer than I had originally attended but, hey, some days are just like that.  I feel so excited to finally start this journey of getting healthy!

P.S.  I totally plan on starting on some strength training very soon!