Sunday, January 29, 2012

Proverbs

Oh, Proverbs.  One of the more enjoyable books of the Bible in my opinion.  To me, they are like little fortune cookies of wisdom.  They are straight forward, tell it to your face snippets of awesomeness.  (I probably use all forms of awesome too much, but hey, it's what I do.)  So, I'm just going to go through a couple of the proverbs that have caught my attention through my reading this time and comment on them a bit.

"Listen, my son, to your father's
instruction
and do not forsake your
mother's teaching.
They will be a garland to grace
your head
and a chain to adorn your
neck."
     -Proverbs 1:8-9

Ok, so your parents aren't completely stupid like you thought.  They can be a great resource to you because they have been right where you are now.  They were young once, have grown and do know what they're talking about.  Their knowledge can help you make better decisions as you go through life.

"For a lack of guidance a nations falls,
but many advisers make victory sure"
-Proverbs 11:14

I am not political by any means, but this caught my attention because it seems like we as a nation are failing.  We do not have wise people leading our way and those who are in charge can not seem to work together for the good of us because we are looking in the wrong places.

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates correction is stupid"
-Proverbs 12:1

I probably only likes this one because I love it when the Bible calls people stupid, because we are stupid.  In my experience to grow and know more you have to be disciplined in your learning and when correction is needed embrace it because it makes you better in the end.

"Gray hair is a crown of splendor,
it is attained by a righteous life"
-Proverbs 16:31

This one made me think of Michael and all that gray hair that he has.  He must have been noticed as righteous early in life since he was already starting to gray when I met him when he was fifteen years old.

Proverbs is an great book to look into.  It keeps everything simple and easy to follow and I think is also a good starting off point if new to Bible reading because it's not super intimidating when you begin.