Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Review: Bossypants

Last night I finished reading Bossypants by Tina Fey.  While over all the book was an easy read with some parts that made me smile and even laugh out loud at times I really felt it was lacking in some ways.

I honestly think Tina should be proud of herself and her accomplishments.  I find her funny when I watch her on TV and I loved when she was on SNL Weekend Update.  I just felt like most of the book she was downplaying herself and her talent.  I mean it's ok that she finds others that she worked with very talented but the whole time it seemed like she took the "I'm really not the great" approach to this memoir and then would go on to describe some of the great things she did do.  I'm all for being humble but there is also a place to be proud of yourself or your humility seems fake.

I did enjoy the couple of stories about herself when she was younger and how she looked up to her dad and how awesome he really is.  And that she is very happy to have her daughter and have a family.  I think family is very important and I it seems she feels that way to.

My favorite chapter in the book is the one where she writes a prayer for her daughter.  While I know that much of the prayer was included to be humorous I believe that in some of it she was serious in her wishes for her daughters future.

If Tina Fey ever writes another book I will more than likely give it a read.