Monday, October 24, 2011

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

This is my probably my most requested dish that I make.  Family events, potlucks, whatever, I am told that I have to bring this along.  I really have no choice in the matter.  So, this time I'm trying something new with this post and I have pictures to show the process of how to make it, in all it's deliciousness.  

 So here are all the ingredients you'll need to make baked mac and cheese:

1 lb large elbow macaroni
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 slices of bread to make bread crumbs with
2-3 cloves of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of mustard powder combined with 1 tsp of water
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
6 Tbsp of flour
3 1/2 cup of whole milk
1 3/4 cup chicken broth (I used water and chicken                       bullion)
4 cups shredded colby cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

First, set a large pot of water to boil, and place noodles in after it boils, the take the 2 slices of bread and put them in a food processor and pulse to make bread crumbs.  Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in a bowl and then toss with breadcrumbs and set aside.
Add remaining butter to pot and cook over medium heat

Drain noodles in colander and wipe pot dry


Melted butter

Add garlic
Add cayenne pepper and mustard mixture
Add flour
Add milk


Stir and cook until golden



Add chicken broth and mix until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes
Add noodles back into pot and stir until combined

Off heat, whisk in shredded cheese until combined and melted


Put in oven at 350 degrees with bread crumbs on top and bake for 25-30 minutes

When you are done, it will be a bubbly and hot, let cool for a few minutes, serve and enjoy!