Wednesday, October 5, 2011

2 Chronicles

We begin off with Solomon and all the great things that he did as king of Israel.  The greatest thing that he does though, is build the temple that David had planned.  The first few chapters are dedicated to the building of the temple and all the measurements and the work that went into it.  And it was a lot.  I felt like I was reading about the building of the tabernacle and the Ark of the Covenant all over again.  It's difficult for me to read things describing how to make and build things, especially since I don't fully understand the measurements for me to picture it but I am sure it is all very amazing.  But when they had finished building the temple and were bringing the Ark in this is what happened in 2 Chronicles 5:13-14

"The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the Lord.  Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instuments, they raised their voices in praise to the Lord and sang:
     "He is good; his love endures forever."
Then the temple of the Lord was filled with a cloud, and the priests could not perform their services because of the cloud for the glory of the Lord filled the temple of God."

And as I picture it, God's presence was so thick and so tangible in that moment that everything stopped.  Nothing could be done except for focusing on the Lord.  There wasn't even a way to continue the songs of praise because God was there and the His awesomeness just froze the room.  They were in awe of Him.

How amazing would it be to be in such presence that it stops you.  That there was nothing you could do other than just be there.  This is something I would love to do.  Be so wrapped in the Spirit that it keeps my mind from wondering or even thinking at all.  That it would just let me be with God, without all these human things getting in my way.  This is the way I want to be in worship of God.  This is what I desire and pray for.  For a mind that would let me go and just experience without getting in the way.  I think way too much, I'm sure, and it gets in the way of being with God fully.  I just can't seem to shut off.  I let myself get distracted and I won't let go of myself and just be.  I have control issues, I know.  These are also the same things that keep me from getting too close with people other than Michael.  I am aware of the problem, I just lack in the area of solving it.

Wow.... So I didn't expect to go into all that on my blog about 2 Chronicles, but it's ok.  Out of the whole book, this spoke to me the most.  The rest was pretty much 2 Kings all over again.  It's funny how much a verse can speak into your life, especially when you felt like the Old Testament didn't really apply to your life.  I think I'm starting to see things differently.