Friday, September 30, 2011

1 Chronicles

Wow!  I went through 1 Chronicles pretty quickly.  I actually read it all in one day.  It was easy considering the first nine chapter are constant genealogy.  It's something that can be very interesting if you put a lot of study into it, but what I found the most interesting about it was in the middle of chapter four the genealogy suddenly stopped for two verses and mentions Jabez.

1 Chronicles 4: 9-10
"Jabez was more honorable than his brothers.  His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain."  Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory!  Let your hand be with me and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain."  And God granted his request."

I'm sure that some of you remember a few years ago when the prayer of Jabez was everywhere. There was a book, plaques, pictures, mugs and even hand towels with the prayer etched on it.  It was very popular for a short while there.  I even bought the book during the craze but I didn't read it until about a year ago.  We don't know anything about Jabez other than what is written in these two verses, but we knew that he asked God to bless him and enlarge his land and keep him safe and God granted his request.  What I learned is that if you are faithful to God you can ask things of Him.  It's ok to ask.  It's ok to ask to be blessed and safe and for more, but you also have to do your part and remain with God.  It's pretty simple if you really think about it.

So, moving on, 1Chronicles covers again David's reign from Saul's death to his own.  It shows how the Israelites were divided up, what their jobs were and lists much of the genealogy through each of the tribes.  It's turns out that most of this book consists of hundreds of names of people who was the father of this son and that son of that father.  It goes on and on and on.  But over all it was very interesting.  It goes through a little more detail of the the what David did in running his kingdom without going through all his faults.  This is a place where you can really see that David loved God and had him in mind with the decisions of his kingdom.  I'm excited now to move on to 2 Chronicles and really see how Solomon ran the kingdom and then into the kingdom split.