Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Book Review: The Help


The Help by Kathryn Stockett is the first book in a couple of months that sucked me in from the first page. This is a story about three women in Jackson, Mississippi during the 1960s in the middle of the civil rights movement. Aibileen is a colored maid in her fifties, who is kind hearted, loves the children she works with and prays every night. Minny is a colored maid who has been fired by multiple families because she can't help but state her mind; she also happens to be the best cook in town. And Skeeter is twenty two years old, has just returned from school and is starting to see things differently for the first time in her life. She wants to be a writer; she wants to make a difference.

I was pulled in so easily into this story. It tells about the abuse some of the maids took when working for white families but also shows the compassion between the races and how some employers truly cared for their workers. There was so much that even though I just finished the book I can't fully put into words how it made me feel. I'm glad I read it though. It makes you think about the way things were before in a time that I would never know. You felt for the people, even those that you grew to dislike through the story.

I know that there is movie coming out later this year based on the book and I hope that they do it justice.

I am now off to take care of my neglected house, since I ignored over the day and a half in order to read.