Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hoarders



I am completely obsessed with the show Hoarders. This is one of those reality shows that I watch and can't get enough of. Do you know what hoarding is? Hoarding is when people can't get rid of things, no matter what they are, and the stuff just takes over their home.

For the most part what covers every square inch of the home is trash. I don't know whether it's laziness or really a compulsive need to hang on that causes people to keep garbage. It just blows my mind. I have seen episodes where children have been taken away from their parents because they just can seem to keep their home in livable conditions. There is one thing in common with all the hoarders and it seems that everything stacks up and then all they have is a small pathway that leads from room to disastrous room and have one tiny spot that they usually spend there time in.

I saw a case so bad that the house was so full of stuff that when the family happened to get bedbugs they had no way of fumigating the home that the critters just took over. The family, instead of cleaning up their mess decided to just start sleeping in a tent in the yard. They had 4 kids. It was just shocking to watch. One recent episode said that the crew emptied out somewhere around 8000 lbs of trash from one room. One room! Eight thousand pounds! Unbelievable!

Needless to say it does make me feel better about my home. My home does not always sparkle but we are never covered in garbage. I'm glad to know that we don't have any issues with getting rid of things.

Here is a short clip from one of the episodes so you can really see how these people live. I really don't know how they do it.