Sunday, April 3, 2011

She-Ra


I remember watching She-Ra when I was little. She was the girls answer to He-Man. She was strong, kind and pretty.

Sidda loves She-Ra. How did she return to my life after 20 years? I received a box from my mom that was full of books that I used to have when I was little. We took all the books out, set them on a self and let Sidda have at it. One of these books was a She-Ra book from 1984. Sidda loved it! She thought she was beautiful and had a great adventure. We read the book so many times it has since fallen apart. This book that survived many years was destroyed in a matter of months because it was enjoyed so much. After the book fell apart the search began.

We began searching for the old She-Ra cartoons. Well we found them. They had just come out on DVD within the last year. We found it on ebay. Sidda has watched every episode multiple times and would go around the house with a sword saying “By the power of Greyskull; I am She-Ra.” Luckily in the She-Ra series there was enough He-Man so MJ would hold up his sword yelling “I have the power!”

I have since searched for old She-Ra dolls and discovered that they were very ugly and most people that had them didn’t take good care of them, so not only were they ugly, but dirty and gross. Sidda instead has taken one of her Barbie dolls and deemed her Adora (She-Ra’s alter ego).

I am glad that my kids like the old cartoons that I used to enjoy, it makes those times of my life seem more relevant to now than they would be. There are many people my age who don’t remember who He-Man and She-Ra were. I always surprises me since I it was one my favorite things about being a kid.