Saturday, April 23, 2011

Deuteronomy


I have finished reading Deuteronomy! I am on my way to completing one of my 2011 goals! I feel so accomplished.

Deuteronomy is like a letter from Moses to the Israelites. It's a summary of Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers along with a review of God's covenant. It's a constant reminder to the Israelites to follow God's commandments and to not turn away.

The book ends with Moses blessing the tribes of Israel and handing the reins of leadership to Joshua son of Nun. Shortly after Moses climbs Mount Nebo to view the promise land that he is not able to enter and then passes away.

As I read through Deuteronomy I felt like I had read a lot of it before since quite a bit of it was a summary but there were times that I found myself laughing out loud at some of the stupid things the Israelites did to cause certain laws to be in place. There were times in my reading when I needed to stop and ask Michael for an explanation of things that I read. There were moments of confusion and frustration and moments of enjoyment in reading this history. I'm glad that I sat down and took the time to read it. I'm excited about moving on to Joshua.