Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I am not a Domestic Goddess

I hate cleaning. It is not something that comes naturally to me. I feel like my house is always a slight disaster. There are people I know that just keep things clean and are able to keep there homes sparkley clean and can still put out fresh baked cookies for their kids and a hot meal for their husbands when they get home.

This is not me. Not even a little bit. I am not a clean person. I am not filthy, but I could clean my house and it would be messy again with in a day. This is because not only am I a messy person but so is my husband and my two children.

We leave things out, we don't put things away right away. We let the laundry pile up and don't take out the trash immediately when we should.

These are the reasons that now being a stay at home mom is difficult for me. I have to clean now. I no longer have the excuse of being at work for the house not being how is should. But the thing is... I hate it! I don't want to be responsible for the household and its upkeep. I want to read, I want to play with my kids, I want to do the things I want to do and cleaning is not one of them.

Laundry is the worst of it. I hate doing laundry more than any other chore in existence. This includes changing dirty diapers. I could change diapers all day longer if I never had to do laundry again. From start to finish, it's really an unending cycle. I hate rotating laundry. I hate folding laundry. I hate putting it on hangers, I hate doing every part of it. There was one day a few weeks ago that somehow the washer moved itself in front of the laundry room door blocking me from entering the room; I took it as a sign of me not doing laundry that day and I was fine with it. Unfortunately, Michael came home and moved the washer, unblocked the door making it available to continue the never ending chore.

What is funny, though, is that as much as I do not like to clean, I have a very particular way that I would like the house to be. I always feel better when things are picked up, the carpet vacuumed, floors swept, dishes done. But it only takes a couple of hours before it all looks like it did before.

I try regularly to be the domestic goddess that I believe I should be and I usually last about a week of constant cleaning, cooking and errands before life just gets in the way. I'm beginning to settle for middle ground. The goal is that every night before bed that the dishes are done and the living room picked up and vacuumed. With a little help from everyone we can manage a clean home so that when we know that we will have visitors we are not rushing to clean but instead just straightening up and taking it easy.

I don't know how likely it is but I think I will live by what my mother in law tells me: "My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy."